I had heard of a pizza crust made with cauliflower a long time ago, but last night was the first time I had tried to make it. I wish I had tried it earlier! This was a great Friday night dinner! Even my kids liked this :)
- 1 large cauliflower, grated or blended into 'rice' with a food processor or blender, to make about 4 cups.
- 3 medium eggs , lightly beaten.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
- 2 tbsp almond meal or flour.
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon pepper.
TOPPINGS (PICK WHAT YOU WANT)
- I can of tomato sauce.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated.
- 1 medium chorizo sausage, thinly sliced.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes.
- bunch of washed spinach
- Goat cheese, crumbled (love this on my pizza'a)
- basil leaves as garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F
2. Put the cauliflower 'rice' into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 8-10 minutes on High or until the cauliflower becomes tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
3. This is a important next step - put the cauliflower into the middle of a tea towel (dish towel). Wrap it into a bundle, and twist closed, squeezing out any remaining moisture over the sink. You need a proper pizza base, not a crumbly mess.
3. Transfer the drained cauliflower to large bowl and add the eggs, oregano, Italian seasoning, almond meal, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Fold the mixture - or use your hands to mix the dough - until it is well combined. If it's still a bit too runny, add another tablespoon of almond meal to firm it up.
4. I like to use parchment paper to line my pan to make my clean up easy. Heat a nonstick pizza tray or baking tray for 5-10 minutes, then spread the 'dough' out in a layer 5mm thick. Bake the 'dough' for 15 minutes or until it becomes golden. Remove from the oven (but leave the oven on).
5. Spread the tomato paste evenly over the base, followed by the grated mozzarella, chorizo and tomato, then sprinkle with the basil leaves or whatever toppings you like. Return to the oven and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
To your health!